Registration!

September 25 - 27, 2020. Registration will open in spring!

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Sleeping Warm

Just 9 days left!  The trees are starting to change color!


The weather in New England is famously fickle.  I’ve known the last weekend in September to be over 90, but this year the weather seems to be trending to the cold side.
 
Last night Holly, George and I were talking about our favorite tips for sleeping out in cold weather.  All of us agreed that fleece socks were our number one tip! I recommend a camisole under long sleeve fleece pajamas or long underwear,  and a drawstring hoodie with a front pocket for warmth.  Holly likes two small fleece blankets - one for her feet inside the bag, one for her head, outside the bag.

I asked the GE committee:  “What is the one thing you would recommend people tuck into their backpacks to ensure comfort at GE this year, if the weather continues to be unseasonably cold? (Not including raincoat and pants...) Or, what do you sleep in that keeps you comfortable?”

Here are some responses!   Comment if you think we’ve missed something!

I am a huge fan of a thin fleece sleeping bag liner and a hat. Also, change all clothes before going to bed.  – Sue

I like to use the hand and foot warmers. I throw one in the bottom of my bag. Keeps my feet nice and warm. I have also used a thermacare back patch. - Kathy

I like to wear a hat if it's really cold or pull a hood up over my head. But I like it to be a little chilly when I sleep, so usually I end up with 1 foot sticking out of the bag! – Danielle

Always put clean clothes on, especially socks! Hat and fleece hoodie keeps drafts away. Fleece blanket under the sleeping bag keeps cold from the mattress from seeping thru. If you wake up, go pee! Otherwise it keeps you awake and cold, because your body devotes energy to keeping that liquid warm! Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment